Monday, April 11, 2011

McD’s Fruit & Maple Oatmeal


I recently procured some coupons for free orders of McDonald’s new Fruit & Maple Oatmeal.  Since I had absolutely nothing to lose, I tried it.  I simply LOVE getting something for free.  I know most people end up ordering something else along with their free entrée which is why the institutions offering coupons continue to offer them, but I’ve made a concerted effort to not do so.  I don’t want using coupons to end up costing me MORE in the end.

I picked up my breakfast drive-through style & headed to work, about 5 minutes away.  Of course, by the time I actually got settled in to consume my order, it had sat around for at least 10 minutes.  So I was wary.  I do not love cooked fruit, people.  Blech.  So I figured that the “crisp red & green apples” were probably not so crisp any more.  I was not excited.

However, I found a pleasant surprise in my cup: my apples were still very crisp!  Yay!  I swirled the fruit around, mixing it well into my oatmeal so I could get a tasty treat in every bite. 

I’m not a fan of raisins.  I think that’s been noted enough before.  And this was no exception.  I would be more than happy to have the “golden” raisins removed.  But I endured them.  And the cranberries were nice.  I don’t know why I like dried cranberries but not raisins, but alas, the mouth wants what the mouth wants and it wants dried cranberries and not raisins. 

The oatmeal itself was fine.  It’s oatmeal.  It’s not flashy or fancy.  It tastes slightly sweet but not overly so.  Its texture is as gooey & slimy as normal oatmeal usually is.  If you don’t like other oatmeal, you won’t like this one either.  But if you don’t mind oatmeal in general, I think you’ll like this one.  The ratio of fruit to oatmeal is perfection.  Lots of fruit in every bite!

And the portion is great.  I’ve now tried it twice and I finished it both times, feeling satisfied but not stuffed.  And it’s held me over til lunch better than a lot of other breakfasts do.

So, thumbs up, McDonald’s Fruit & Maple Oatmeal!  You’re all right in my book.  But when my free coupons run out, I’m not sure I’ll pay for you any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment