Monday, June 6, 2011

Red Mango



I’ve written about Red Mango briefly before, but decided it was high time to devote a whole post to it.  If you haven’t ventured there, Red Mango is a frozen yogurt delight.  Now, if you don’t like yogurt, you might not like Red Mango.  Because it tastes more “yogurty” than most frozen yogurts – a tang on the tongue.  They apparently are more “natural” and “healthy” than say, TCBY, who I can only guess is “the other guys” mentioned on their comparison poster.  My husband is just such a person that does not love yogurt and thus was not impressed with the samples he grabbed at Red Mango.  So he decided to sit that one out. 

I like that you can grab a little sample cup & go to town on their wall of flavors.  And after you’ve selected your choice of the moment, you can grab a (HUGE) cup and fill ‘er up!  Since you pay by the weight of the cup, I’m not surprised that there are no teeny cups to be found (other than the sample cups, of course).  I did not see the price he paid, but the gentleman in front of me had to have shelled out a pretty penny, for his cup overfloweth with fro-yo & toppings (including granola, which isn't light weight stuff)!

The first time I tried Red Mango I selected their Mojito flava.  And it was AWESOME.  I topped it with fresh strawberries and paid about $2 for my conservative portion.  (My husband was delighted when it came time to pay.)  It did not disappoint.  I sucked down every spoonful before the rest of my party even sat down.

This last visit was to a different location and was several months later.  So Mojito was no longer in season. (Huh?!  Isn’t spring/summer a more appropriate Mojito time than February?) 

I grabbed some sample cups and went to town.  I tried the new Raspberry Cheesecake flavor.  Much more raspberry than cheesecake and not too bad, but not quite my style.  As soon as I eyed the Coconut, I knew I’d found a winner.  And that it was.  I topped it with fresh pineapple and again found that I was within the $2 range at the checkout.  Hurray for knowing that almost as soon as I’d pulled down the fro-yo lever, it was time to release (apparently the ticket to a conservative portion). 

It should be noted that Red Mango has a variety of toppings other than fresh fruit.  Coconut, nuts, cereals like Fruity Pebbles & Cocoa Pebbles, sprinkles, chocolate sauces, candies and more are all among the options you can choose from.  Even some kind of super-healthy looking granola mixture that I previously mentioned above, which I was somewhat tempted to try.  I’m sure it’s super-fab in their parfaits.  But the fresh fruit always looks pretty inviting there – I’m not one for mushy, jam-coated fruits that are often used for fruity ice cream toppings.  But these are just fresh fruit chunks, whole and unadulterated.  Kiwi, mango, strawberry, pineapple & more.  (And a sign that denotes the availability of banana on request – I’m sure they don’t want old slimy brown banana slices sitting out.)

One of the first things you see when you walk into Red Mango is that their fro-yo is nonfat, contains pro-biotics and has no artificial stuff (like “the other guys”).  The friend I went with deemed the existence of pro-biotics in her fro-yo as unappetizing.  I’m not put off by it, though, and decided that as long as it tastes good, I’m all for it being better for me as well!

Red Mango is always a good choice for gluten-free peeps, FYI.  And they do have non-dairy fruit smoothies for those that can’t abide dairy.

Another location is opening soon in Omaha.  I can’t wait to check it out!  I plan to sign up for their “club mango” soon as well, so I can starting earning me some free fro-yo.

http://www.redmangousa.com/default.html

No comments:

Post a Comment