Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Baklava


I mentioned in my previous post that I could write a whole post about this sweet treat, baklava.  So here goes. 

I do love this flaky, gooey confection.  The first time I ever remember having it was at Fifth Third Bank (DUMBEST name for a bank EVER) when my team lead made everyone cookie plates for Christmas and baklava was one of the treats on everyone's plate.  

I’ve heard it’s made by buttering sheets & sheets of phyllo dough and layering those with a honey / chopped pecan mixture.  The result is deliciousness!  I would never have the inclination / patience to produce such a treat, but I’m glad there are people out there that do.

One of my favorite places to procure baklava is the farmer’s market in downtown Omaha.  You can get a huge piece, sometimes half dipped in chocolate (YUM) for just a few dollars.  And if you play your cards right, that can last you awhile.  Or even be shared and STILL last you awhile!  And yes, I realize this may not be the exact definition of farmer’s market produce, but I just simply don’t care.

As I said previously, Jim & Jenny’s Greek restaurant also produces good baklava.  And Feta’s, sadly, does not.  I didn’t care for the abundance of cinnamon that was prevalent in theirs.

One of the easiest little mini treats I make is Baklava Cups.  The same basic flavors of baklava but in a much less time-consuming form!

Baklava Cups
1 pkg frozen mini fillo shells (15 shells in a pkg)
2/3 C chopped mixed nuts (preferably Pistachio or Pecan Lover’s Mix)
¼ C honey
1 tsp water

Fill frozen shells with nuts.  Place on a baking sheet (with sides) and bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.  Mix the honey and water.  Pour evenly into shells.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment