Friday, April 29, 2011

Hummus is Yummus! (Groan)


Sorry for the complete & utter lameness of the title but I couldn’t stop myself.  I wanted to, but I couldn’t.

Since the new diet regime change, Jake has enjoyed hummus on a very regular basis.  Eaten with tortilla chips (pita chips have gluten), it is a protein-rich, good-fat, filling snack.  Made from ground up chick peas, it doesn’t sound very appetizing, but I promise you it’s worth a try.  Dairy free, gluten-free deliciousness.

Not all hummus is equal.  We definitely prefer the Sabra brand to Athenos.  And Walmart’s brand is somewhere in between.  Of course, fresh would be best.  We’ve heard that Whole Foods will make it fresh for you, but we have yet to try that.  Something about that darn exploding grocery budget…

A few years ago, we visited some friends in Minneapolis and they took us to an ethnic food court.  It was so hard to choose what to eat because it all looked so amazing.  I remember getting fresh hummus from a Greek vendor there.  It was creamy and tangy.  I sometimes still think (dream) about it.  I’m sure it wouldn’t live up to my expectations now, because I’ve really built it up in my mind.  But I guess I’m willing to take that risk!  Some day we’ll venture back, if possible.  I should have stocked up.  Little did I know what I’d be missing for years to come.

Jake’s favorite hummus experience was at a Mediterranean spot here in Omaha.  We took some friends to El Basha for dinner and we ordered some hummus as an appetizer.  It came with pita bread wedges for dipping and in the center of the hummus was some olive oil and maybe garlic or herbs.  He just loved it.  I remember it being good as well, though not as good as my elusive experience in Minnesota.  But nothing is.  Ha!

If you’re on a budget and hummus is what you’re craving, go for Sabra’s Roasted Garlic Hummus.  It’s pretty darn amazing.  We like the little pool of garlic in the middle an awful lot.  At Walmart you’ll pay about $3 for a tub.  (You can pick up a bag of $.99 tortilla chips to go with, but be warned – they aren’t great chips.  We prefer Aldi’s tortilla chips, though they have upped their price to $1.19 a bag.  I think the extra $.20 is worth it!)  


3 comments:

  1. Yummus?!?!??!?!

    this makes me so happy. :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad! My husband thinks I'm a pretty big nerd for that...can't say I disagree, but I just couldn't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you need to post a great hummus recipe. i keep telling Derek that hummus is going to be added to our menus but haven't taken the effort to find a recipe.

    ReplyDelete