Monday, May 9, 2011

Mediterranean Flavor


I'm back!  More on trip food later but now to finish up my Mediterranean theme of late. I promise this is the last one (for awhile).  Just thought I’d wrap up with this quick note about the unique blend of flavors that go into Mediterranean fare. 

I think the biggest identifier of Mediterranean tastes is “tang”.  I would say the mixture of a vinegar or citrus bite and the smooth lightness of olive oil is probably the key to Mediterranean food.  That’s usually present in salads, of course.  But “Greek” potatoes have that flare.  And chicken dishes are usually accompanied by that as well. 

Our favorite homemade Mediterranean dish is “Mediterranean Chicken”.  Partially because it’s so dang easy.  And partially because it just WORKS.  The first time I made it I was really surprised at how tasty it was because there were no other seasonings besides salt & pepper.  But I think everything just comes together well.  I usually serve this dish with a rice pilaf of some kind, but potatoes would be good as an accompaniment too.


Mediterranean Chicken
2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 small can sliced olives, drained
1 small jar capers, drained
1 pint grape tomatoes
Salt & pepper
3 T olive oil

Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper.  Cook chicken in olive oil in skillet on medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.  Add olives, capers & tomatoes.  Transfer to preheated oven (425 degrees) for 10-14 minutes or til juices run clear.  (If skillet is not oven-safe, transfer food to a baking pan.)


I usually don’t enjoy cooked tomatoes like this at all, but these are just roasted til warm & juicy inside.  Jake doesn’t care as much for the tomatoes but he loves the flavor they add and raves about this dish for the rest of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment