Friday, July 30, 2010

Cravings


I get cravings for certain foods quite regularly.  Mostly ethnic foods, I’ve found.  I used to get cravings for P.F. Chang’s a lot when we lived in Cincinnati.  And thankfully that’s curbed a bit since that’s not a super cheap habit.  Now I regularly get cravings for Mexican food, especially La Mesa’s chicken enchiladas.  And salsa and chips.  But I still crave good Chinese food every now and then.  I was just lamenting to Jake the other day that I miss our good, cheap Chinese place from Cincinnati.  I haven’t found a place yet that has as good of food for such a low price.  But I did just hear of one I have to try, so I’ll let you know how that pans out. 

I’ve been known to crave ice cream on a consistent basis, as well as popcorn, rice krispie treats and grape koolaid (as you’ve already read).  As I write this, I feel like I’m noticing a pattern of junk food cravings! 

I’ve never been pregnant, so I’ve never experienced the phenomenon of craving pickles, and especially pickles coupled with ice cream.  I’m grateful for the lack of that craving so far!  I did just read that craving pickles when you’re pregnant is a sign of a mineral deficiency, though I don’t remember which mineral.  (Helpful, huh?!  Probably sodium, is my guess.)

I still remember a craving that was physiologically interesting to me:  we used to frequent a particular pizza place in Cincinnati and after a short while, just the very act of walking into the restaurant made my mouth water for a Coca-Cola.  Like Pavlov’s dog, I had conditioned myself to this response.  The very smell of LaRosa’s will bring it on!

What are your cravings?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't crave anything when I was pregnant...instead I developed an adversion to chicken. Depending on my mood I still can't order a whole chicken breast at a restaurant.

    The thing I probably crave the most is chocolate and McDonald's Coke.

    I'm glad I'm not the only one that talk about food from Cincinnati a lot....we also miss Sebastian's Gyros. And I miss the 5/3 Cafeteria :-)

    ReplyDelete