Monday, July 12, 2010

We Like Chicken


Over any other meat, my husband and I usually prefer chicken.  (I put seafood in a category all its own.)  We could probably have it every day for every meal and be happy.  Mostly because it’s so versatile.  I can bake it whole or in pieces, with rice or potatoes or by itself.  We can grill it or cut it up into a stir-fry or pot pie.  I can pop it into the crockpot with some yummy ingredients and just let it simmer all day.  We don’t usually do the bone-in kind (please refer back to my previous post entitled “I Don’t Do Messy”).  And thus, we also usually skip the skin.  So it’s very healthy.  Yay!  We don’t always love to eat healthy in our house, so at least that’s one thing we’re doing right.  Of course, when I add in a creamy soup, some rice & some butter, the health effects tend to drip away.  But that’s why we only have such meal items in moderation.  But in our house, we definitely still have them.  I’m about living my life to the fullest, and butter and cream are absolutely a part of that!  Again, not every day, but definitely every now and then.

Here’s a list of some my favorite chicken dishes, both “in” and “out” (I’m sure I’ve forgotten some):
  • Chicken Marsala – I have a recipe that we like, but we can thank Macaroni Grill for first introducing us to this wonderful feast.  Many restaurants now have it on their menu and it’s a little different everywhere you go.  I don’t think it’s every disappointed, though.
  • Chicken Pot Pie – again, I’m picky about it, but I do love it when it’s done right.
  • Chicken & Rice – there are many recipes out there, but my mom’s Hot Chicken Salad is at the top of my list.  Beth Cooper’s classic recipe has seen many makings at my house as well.
  • Italian chicken – whether you choose to grill it, bake it or crockpot it, chicken breasts that have been marinated in Italian dressing for several days while thawing are incredibly flavorful.  And did you notice how many options you have in cooking it?!
  • Chicken enchiladas – LaMesa tops my list in Omaha for this fare.
  • Stuffed Cornish hens – I have a mushroom wild rice stuffing recipe that is a special treat at our house when served with these petite birds.
  • Pasta Da Vinci – this Cheesecake Factory dish has delighted me on more than one occasion.  Be beware of the richness factor!  Here is their description: Sautéed Chicken, Mushrooms and Onions in a Delicious Madeira Wine Sauce Tossed with Penne Pasta and Parmesan.
  • BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad – another Cheesecake Factory creation.  This one has even won over my husband!  That’s saying a lot since he’s never been known to order a salad other than this one.  The description:  Avocado, Tomato, Grilled Corn, Black Beans, Cucumber and Romaine all Tossed with Our Barbeque Ranch Dressing. Topped with Lots of Crispy Fried Onion Strings for Crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment