Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Popcorn


I’ve long held a strong affinity for popcorn.  I’m not sure when it began, but it’s taken a deep and enduring hold on me.  I remember making it for my dad growing up, and he must have trained me to like it the way I do: smothered in butter.  But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve left behind the love of the “movie theater butter” microwave popcorn bags.  If I’m to choose a microwave popcorn bag option these days, it’s going to be Pop Secret’s Homestyle popcorn.  It’s lightly buttered, but with REAL butter, and lightly salted.  Of course, these days I rarely purchase microwave popcorn bags.  I’m of the opinion that it’s not that hard to make it myself in $10.00 microwave popcorn bowl from Target.  And then it’s not too difficult to melt the butter myself.  This way I have much more control of the amount & distribution as well.  It’s never too salty or not salty enough.  And I love those bites where you get some firm kernels as well as the ones that are shriveled with hot butter.  Perfection!  Recently I rediscovered a recipe that a friend gave me awhile back for Carmel Corn.  I think there was a period of a few months this past winter where I had Carmel Corn every day, or at least every other.  It was just so darn good and I could make just enough for myself, since my husband doesn’t share an affinity for it.  Thank you, Carrie Howard, for blessing my life in this way with your recipe!

If you’re looking for a bit more special treat than just your average popcorn, my family has long held the belief that Velvet Creme Popcorn has the best popcorn tins around.  You can get one shipped to you.  And they can fill it with your normal butter / carmel / cheese options or you can select sour cream & onion or cinnamon for a fun change.  Our family loves the sour cream & onion – that section is often gone before any other.  I do think their cheese and carmel corn options are better than other brands as well.  Beware the high cost for one of these tins – my family (siblings & dad) usually split the cost between us if we order one for a special occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment