Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My New Best Cooking Ally



For the past few months, I’ve come to a new appreciation for Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix.  It is one of the few gluten-free, low fat / cholesterol cooking aids I was already familiar with, was cheap enough to stockpile, and could find lots of uses for.  Lately I’ve come to utilize it quite a bit.  It finds it’s way into several recipes, sometimes as a substitute for something else, sometimes as a brand new experiment. 

I have a deep & abiding love for shortcuts in cooking.  I don’t love to make stuff from scratch, simply because I’m lazy & it takes lots and lots of time, preparation and ingredients that aren’t always easy to just keep on hand.  Something like Onion Soup Mix comes in very, very handy then.  I can stockpile it in my pantry & it keeps for a very long time.  Also, it’s pretty cheap as far as gluten-free products go.  (Only the Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix is gluten free, not their other soup mix options, FYI.)

Here are a few easy recipes that I’ve prepared quite a bit lately using my new food pal:


Chicken, Onion & Potato Bake
2-4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
4 large red potatoes, cut into bitesize chunks
1 medium onion
1 pkg Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix
3 T water

Mix everything in a large Ziploc bag and shake to coat.  Spread in a shallow baking pan (I use my round stoneware baker).  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.


Onion Chicken
2-4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1/3 C Miracle Whip (we use Light)
1 pkg Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix
Breadcrumbs*

Mix Miracle Whip & soup mix.  Spread onto chicken breasts and top with breadcrumbs, if desired.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
*I’ve been substituting Rice Chex crumbs for breadcrumbs and love the crunch.  Jake is not a fan, so we just leave them off for him, which he likes fine.


Onion Roasted Potatoes
1 pkg Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix   
¼ C olive or canola oil
2 lbs potatoes, washed & cubed (red potatoes work the best)

In a large bowl, add all ingredients and toss until potatoes are evenly coated.  Spread potatoes in a shallow baking pan.  Bake for 40 minutes at 450 degrees or until tender and golden brown, stirring once midway through. 


Quick Onion Rice Pilaf
1 ½ C Minute Rice
1 ½ C chicken broth
1 pkg Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix

Mix all ingredients together in a 2 quart microwave safe dish.  Microwave on high for 5 minutes.  Stir and let rest for 1-2 minutes.  (This can be made with regular long grain rice: 1 C rice, 2 C chicken broth, 1 pkg soup mix.  Cook as regular white rice.)

2 comments:

  1. no lie, this is the secret part to my secret hamburger recipe. if you get ground beef, mix in a pack or two of these, and an egg. make your patties, and it makes amazing hamburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, agreed! I usually use one pkg of soup mix to 1 lb. of ground beef and I've never added an egg, but that would help it hold together well too. Can't believe I left that one out!

    ReplyDelete