Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Music in the Kitchen


This blog post idea was spawned by the previous post I reposted on “Ten Tips For Getting Comfortable in the Kitchen”.  Ha!  Don’t even try to say that ten times fast.  Anyway, the author of that post indicated that having an inviting kitchen is essential for being a better cook.  I really like that notion.  And there are several things that go along with having an inviting kitchen according to that author: cleanliness, practical arrangement, good organization of tools, and lastly, music.  (I’m sure there are other essentials left off this list.)

Now, having music in the kitchen is not something I’d have really thought about as an essential before.  But that caught my eye.  I definitely enjoy putting on music when I’m in the kitchen, whether it’s doing dishes or cooking (most times it’s both, running together).  Usually I like quite peppy tunes for that time, to inspire and motivate me.  It definitely makes the time spent there more fun for me.  In years past, when we lived in our Cincinnati apartment, I would have the TV on while I cooked.  I just liked listening to something while I worked.  But I have to say, I do prefer the melodic sounds of music over the cadence of just voices. 

John Mayer, Adele, Kelly Clarkson, Kanye West, The Roots, Derek Trucks Band, Dixie Chicks, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals.  These have all been played in my kitchen.  Don’t get me wrong – this is not a complete list nor do I listen exclusively to upbeat music.  But these are good food for the soul while I make food for the stomach.

What do you listen to in your kitchen (if anything)?

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite pleased to see Derek Trucks Band make this list! You also do seem to turn on Over the Rhine a good bit - but they're not very upbeat a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete