Monday, November 8, 2010

Self-Talk Concerning Food


I get daily devotional emails from Proverbs 31 Ministries and last week they sent one that addressed our inner self-talk when it comes to food and healthy eating (among other things).  The author basically described a change she desired to make in her inner “self-talk”.  She wanted to change from a “I’ll start over on Monday so I can indulge today/this weekend” to a “I was made for more than this” mode.  The idea that God has made us for more than just being slaves to our taste buds is one I find appealing.  And the whole idea of negative self-talk holding us back is something I completely agree with.  I think it applies to a vast number of different life situations, including relationships.  But a large majority of people have struggled with healthy eating at some point in their lives and I think the self-talk issue has definitely affected most of us in that arena.  Another devotional email came this week that can be applied to this issue as well.  The concept was just “Do the work.”  If you’re struggling to repair a relationship, “Do the work.”  If you’re trying to lose weight, “Do the work.”  I think changing our self-talk is one of the hardest things we are challenged to do in our lives, but probably one of the most rewarding as well.  If I can change my inner self-talk from a negative one concerning healthy eating to one of these better options, I think I might have more success on the whole & enjoy it more in the process. 

What’s your inner self-talk telling you, especially in regard to your relationship with food?

No comments:

Post a Comment