Friday, November 26, 2010

Freezer Meals


I know some of you out there are gung-ho about freezer meals.  Some of you may even spend a whole day preparing a month’s worth of meals to freeze & then eat as needed.  Many of my friends have been recipient’s of freezer meals when they’ve had a baby, much to their delight. 

A couple years ago our small group decided to make meals for our friends that were having babies.  We each determined to make meals for an entire week for our friends.  That’s a lot of meal ideas, by the way!  And we wanted to make meals that could be frozen, if desired.  That was when I realized that I had little to no experience with freezer meals. 

I’ve since come up with a couple meals that can work as freezer meals.  My mom’s Hot Chicken Salad and Porcupine Meatballs are good options.  (Refer to previous post on “Smith Family Favorites: Meal Edition” for recipes.)  I’ve made my Chicken Pot Pie as a freezer meal before and it worked okay, but probably isn’t best that way.  And I’ve got a few others up my sleeve.  Oldies, but goodies like Tator Tot Casserole usually please.  Pasta dishes work well usually, too.

Do you have good freezer meal recipes?

4 comments:

  1. Can't say I have "favorite" but I do a freezer cooking group about every other month. My friend started it after she was a member in one that was in a different town. Basically, you sign sign up end a month for the next month. She then takes however many sign up and assigns each person a recipe. Each person then makes that reciple in bulk; if there are ten people participating, you make ten of the recipe. Then you get together on swap day and pass out your recipe to the group/pick up the recipes others made for you. You send in the total amount you spent before that meeting so then the organizer and average out the costs. She then tells you if you spent more or less than the average and if you spent more, when you pick up your food you get money back. If you spent less, then you have to put a little extra in the pot. So everyone end up paying the same amount. I am loving it. I only do it every other month or so and that works perfect for me. We haven't had any food that was yucky and the food lasts me about two months or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never heard of such a thing but it sounds great!! I'm not sure how it would go over in our house with the cheese issue, though, since so many casseroles have cheese & that's what are normally made for freezer recipes. I'd still be interested in some of the recipes you've made, even if you don't consider them you're "favorite"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also participated in a freezer meal swapper-oo, and I love it. I will work on some recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cari,
    I don't have a lot of the recipes because I don't get the other recipe, only the one I'm making. But as to the cheese thing, we have had all sorts of things, many cheese less. I think out of the 19 menu choices so far, only two have had cheese. (Broccoli Cheese Soup and Pizza Meatloaf) The rest include meatballs, meatloaf, beef brisket, chimichangas, chicken caciatorri, chicken nachos, chicken pot pie, and vegetable beef soup. The nachos and chimichangas are just the meat so it's up to you to add cheese as a garnish if you want.

    ReplyDelete